Why does it occur and what to do to relieve the withdrawal syndrome in alcoholism
Withdrawal syndrome in alcoholism — a set of symptoms of the second stage of dependence that occur in the absence of new entry of alcohol into the body. Manifested in the form of physical, psychological and neurological disorders that require immediate treatment.
Why it occurs
The reason for the appearance of withdrawal symptoms clear — systematic alcohol intake. In the initial form of alcoholism withdrawal symptoms is not observed. It begins to emerge in the second stage, after about five years of regular abuse. Can occur before the condition is excessive consumption of alcoholic drinks in a large quantity.
Late stage of alcoholism in addition to a withdrawal syndrome characterised by a number of symptoms:
- Memory lapses — the person does not remember what he did while intoxicated.
- Weak resistance to alcohol poisoning (with increasing dosage of alcohol consumed).
- Disappear emotional attachment, patients become indifferent to loved ones.
- There have been social degradation — patients disregard moral and ethical principles.
- Lost the old values — the patient is not afraid of losing their jobs, getting sick, ceases to watch itself, including does not observe simple rules of hygiene.
- Lack of control over quantity of alcohol ("drink up off of consciousness").
- Lack of understanding of responsibility for actions ("what do you want from me, I was drunk").
- Related develop alcoholism disease destroys liver cells interferes with lipid metabolism, there is a deficit of proteins, developed fatty degeneration, hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver.
Itself the withdrawal syndrome is accompanied by physical, psychological and neurological abnormalities that occur a few hours after the last intake of alcohol.
The types of manifestations
Physical manifestations of the syndrome:
- Heart palpitations.
- The increased sweating.
- Inability to hold eye contact.
- Disorders of the intestine.
- Problems with urination.
- Violation of accuracy of movements, unsteady gait.
- Gray-brown patches on the tongue, nausea and vomiting.
Mental and neurological manifestations of the syndrome:
- "Shifty eyes", feeling of weakness and inability to concentrate.
- Tremor (uncontrolled shaking of extremities), can not even wear or remove clothing.
- Sleep disturbances (insomnia, nightmares).
- A heightened state of restlessness, hysterical behavior.
- The loss of appetite.
The syndrome can begin to occur within 10-15 hours after last reception of alcohol-containing product. The duration of symptoms in different cases will be different — from a couple days to several weeks. Are after drinking alcohol.
Why this syndrome of alcoholism requires prompt and thorough treatment? The fact that in severe cases, withdrawal symptoms may go into alcoholic delirium, called delirium tremens, and alcoholic energicheskoj condition that threatens to collapse, cardiac arrest, cerebral (vascular) disasters, hepatic and pancreatic coma. In the absence of timely medical treatment can be fatal.
Treatment of withdrawal symptoms should be comprehensive. During periods of exacerbation requires hospitalization of the patient and treatment in a hospital. Under the supervision of a physician-psychiatrist will be carried out:
- Detoxification is aimed at the complete elimination of organism from the remnants of ethanol. Use of physiological methods (enemas, blood transfusions, etc.) and pharmacological (dropper with the saline solution, activated carbon). Actively used various laxatives and diuretics.
- Relief of symptoms of the syndrome. To relieve pain will be used standard drugs prescribed for other diseases. For example, when hallucinations tranquilizers, sleeping pills for insomnia, antihypertensive drugs to reduce pressure, analeptics to relieve heart pain.
Home treatment is aimed at preventing blackouts. After purification of the body, you can use the encoding of the patient. As a rule, in addition to these methods, doctors will prescribe a complex of vitamins, a special diet and conditioned reflex therapy.
To enhance the rejuvenating effect it is recommended to use psychotherapy (personal conversation with a therapist or attend group sessions, and various folk remedies for the treatment of alcoholism at home. Only such comprehensive relief problems can help to avoid recurrent binges and recurrence of withdrawal symptoms.
There are several popular recipes. The effectiveness of such treatment is time-tested. Only we must remember that such tools are not suitable as the sole method to help alcoholics. They are suitable only as auxiliary means.
- A decoction of oats: 800 g of untreated oats and 100 g of dried calendula pour 1.5 liters of water and put on low fire. Boil for half an hour. Strain and put broth in the fridge for a day. To givethe patient a glass 3 times a day.
- Vitamin mix: half a Cup of beet juice, 1 Cup of carrot, Apple juice and squeezed lemon — all of this mix and add 2 tablespoons of honey. Drink the resulting fruit-vegetable mix during the day.
- A decoction of St. John's wort: 4 tablespoons of dried St. John's wort pour 2 cups of boiled water. Put in a water bath for 40 minutes. Strain and give broth to cool. Drink a glass a day.
How long is recovery
Recovery from alcohol withdrawal syndrome can last for different people in different ways. Someone after detoxification and the relief of syndromes after a couple of days feeling well, while others suffer for several weeks. The duration of recovery depends on the stage of alcoholism, the changes in the body under the influence of alcohol, and used treatment.
To summarize: the withdrawal syndrome is extremely difficult, and therefore requires third-party medical assistance. Relief of symptoms in severe manifestations should be carried out exclusively in hospital settings and by qualified personnel only. Therapy at home may only complicate the course of disease, and in some particularly difficult cases to lead to death. The house recommended only restorative and maintenance treatment aimed at preventing a return to alcohol.