Details about the causes, symptoms and treatment of male gynecomastia
Gynecomastia in men is a condition characterized by an increase of the breast in men. Any marked symptoms in this disease there. Usually, in the foreground an aesthetic defect, from which many wish to get rid of. It is therefore important to know the main causes, symptoms and treatment and which doctor should I contact if I identify gynecomastia.
Why there is pathology
The causes of gynecomastia are varied. But you should always try them out, as this will help you choose the most appropriate treatment. It is physiological and pathological. Physiological include two forms is:
- newborn gynecomastia;
- gynecomastia in puberty;
- gynecomastia elderly.
In the first case, the reasons for the increase of the breast associated with the effects of estrogen mother, who for some time continue to circulate in the bloodstream of the child. Treatment is not required, all the symptoms disappear within a few weeks.
In the second case, changes of the breast are observed in boys in the age range from 12 to 15 years. This is also a consequence of changes in hormonal balance. As in the previous case, specific treatment is not required. Regression of symptoms occurs within one to two years.
And finally, the third variant can develop in men over the age of 50 years. This period of life is marked by decreasing levels of male hormones, consequently, there are hormonal imbalance with a predominance of female hormones.
Particularly noteworthy are the causes of pathological gynecomastia. Some of them are serious illnesses that require timely treatment. Consider the most frequent etiological factors of the disease in men:
- Imbalance in sex hormones. For gynecomastia is characterized by increased production of female and reducing male hormones. Excess estrogen can be observed in hermaphroditism, certain tumors of the adrenal gland or the testicle. A lack of androgens can be caused by a decrease in gonadal function.
- Diseases of the pituitary gland. Most often it is tumors that cause an increase in the formation of prolactin.
- Pathology of the reproductive system in men. To this group of causes include diseases of the testes that contribute to the decline in their endocrine functions. It can be infection, congenital anomalies of a structure, injury, changes due to ischemia.
- Medication. Often gynecomastia in men causes long-term use of drugs. This side effect havetricyclic antidepressants, amiodarone, methyldopa, antagonists of the mineralocorticoid, diazepam, proton pump inhibitors, H2 receptor blockers, cytostatics and directly hormones. Increase the breast in men is observed in response to the use of ketoconazole, metronidazole and some antibiotics.
- Diseases of the internal organs. The reason can be chronic kidney disease, hypersecretion of thyroid hormones, pathology of the liver.
- Features lifestyle. It is known that obesity leads to the development of gynecomastia. Adipose tissue contains substances which take part in the conversion of testosterone to estrogen. Thus, the more fat, the more of this enzyme. And is one of the symptoms observed in the imbalance of sex hormones in men with obesity.
- The abuse of alcohol, narcotic substances.
The main symptom of the disease is enlarged Breasts in men. It is important to note that there is overgrowth of the gland tissue and not fat. When the prevalence of fatty tissue pathology is called pseudogynecomastia, because this expansion is caused by absolutely other reasons, respectively, and the treatment will be different. The symptoms are typically characterized by a bilateral lesion. Less common asymmetrical, unilateral form of the disease.
Enlargement of prostate may be accompanied by discharge from the nipples. Also the chest becomes more sensitive, feels uncomfortable. Depending on the cause of the disease gynecomastia may be accompanied by signs of the underlying pathology.
That provides therapy
Therapy of gynecomastia in men involves identifying the causes of pathological States, as well as correction of the arisen disorders. When symptoms occur in newborns, adolescents and older males treatment is not required. If the symptom is caused by a particular drug, should be rescinded. Treatment of diseases of the endocrine glands includes the elimination of a hormone imbalance. If the reason is illness or injury of the testicles, therapy should be aimed at elimination of their consequences.
Not always, conservative treatment is showing good results. In some cases, this condition requires surgery. Also the indication for surgery is the presence of malignant neoplasm in breast gland in men.
Gynecomastia can be a symptom of serious diseases, including those associated with hormone imbalances in men. Therefore, if symptoms, should as soon as possible to consult a doctor to determine the cause and selectionrational therapeutic tactics.