The features of the ultrasound of the prostate
Ultrasound of the prostate – diagnosis which is based on the use of ultrasonic waves. In the collision the wave fabric is a reflection, and this signal is recorded by the instrument. Depending on density, homogeneity of tissue, the signal may vary significantly. Any deviation from the norm captured by the ultrasound sensor. Method allows you to see the prostate gland at different planes, and in great detail, as well as to determine the amount, size, shape of body, to make a conclusion about the symmetry, the presence of tumors. Have the opportunity to conduct a study of the bladder and nearby organs. From the article, you will learn how to conduct an ultrasound of the prostate, the advantages and the peculiarities of the preparation of manipulation.
When to prescribe the ultrasound?
Typically, ultrasound of the prostate is assigned when there is suspicion of pathological process in the prostate, concerned about unpleasant symptoms, but men over 45 are recommended to do an ultrasound of the prostate as a preventive measure, even if nothing disturbs.
Indications can be:
- Difficulty urinating, weak, intermittent stream, pain.
- Frequent urge to the toilet at night, feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder.
- A high level or increasing prostatic specific antigen (PSA) in the blood.
- The results of the digital rectal examination men.
- Violation of potency, infertility.
- Pain in the perineum.
Thus, the method of ultrasound is very important in the diagnosis of prostatitis, benign hyperplasia, helps you to more accurately set the size of the adenoma in men. It is widely used in the diagnosis of cancer, along with the finger study and determining the level of PSA in the blood.
The advantages of the method
Here are some advantages of the method ultrasound of the prostate:
- Accurate. Allows details in different planes to examine the soft tissue of the prostate to determine the volume size.
- Safe. Sound waves do not harm the health of the men, in contrast to x-ray radiation.
- Painless. Does not involve punctures and incisions.
- Available. An ultrasound machine in every city, as well as professionals able to conduct research, the cost is relatively high.
- Universal. Has virtually no limits.
- The possibility of simultaneous studies of nearby organs including the bladder.
- Simple. Takes about 30 minutes to prepare for easy manipulation.
- The possibility of biopsy. Simultaneously with the research camera allows you to make the fence of the tissues of the gland for analysis.
Types of ultrasound prostate
Ultrasound of the prostate havemen is done in two ways:
- Transrectal: ultrasound probe is inserted through the anus (transrectal ultrasonography).
- Transabdominal: the sensor is placed on the anterior abdominal wall.
Transrectal ultrasound of the prostate provides a better access on. Through the use of high frequency sensors, the image becomes clearer. The method is considered to be more informative and used very widely. But still there is a place and the second method of execution.
Ultrasound of the prostate in men doing transabdominal, when there are contraindications to transrectal introduction: remote rectum, anal fissure, hemorrhoids, which are accompanied by pain and bleeding. Sometimes ignored the wishes of the patient who wants to experience the discomfort of a rectal.
When transabdominal ultrasound is performed, it is possible to determine the amount, form, dimensions, localization of the prostate gland, to conduct a study of the bladder, however, to identify pathologic changes in organ tissue it allows. Often the method is used in the initial stages of diagnosis.
How to prepare before the procedure?
If You are scheduled for an ultrasound of the prostate, be sure to ask the doctor how to prepare for manipulation. This is what is usually recommended before the ultrasound:
- In the case of transrectal ultrasonography for 2-3 hours is a cleansing enema, use laxatives candles.
- If transabdominal ultrasound is performed, it requires a sufficient filling of the bladder. So 1-2 hours before the study have to drink 1.5 liters of non-carbonated drinking water after peeing.
Preparation for TRUS involves several days before the manipulation of limiting the consumption of products that contribute to flatulence, bloating. In addition, the rectal route of administration may alienate some men. The preparation of such patients should involve a detailed explanation of the progress of the study and its significance.
If men bother hemorrhoids, anal fissures, you need to inform your doctor this should be considered when choosing a method of conducting ultrasound. May be given individual instructions on how to prepare.
The course of the manipulation
Of course, ultrasound is different depending on the method of introduction of the sensor. But in any case the procedure is painless and takes very little time.
The patient is instructed to lie on your back. Ultrasound probe applied to the abdomen. The specialist can see your prostate in different planes to assess its volume, dimensions, contours. As a rule, once conducted a study of the bladder, so proper preparation is needed.
An important indicator, which learn with the help of ultrasound, residual urine volume. In this case, firstsurvey the filled bladder, then ask the man to go to the toilet again and do an ultrasound. Diagnosis is 30 min. the Data appear on the monitor as images or video.
The patient takes a lying position on your left side, drawing a leg bent at the knees, as it facilitates access to the prostate. Then in the anus introduced ultrasound probe with a diameter less than 2 see generally, the sensor is put on the special condom for ultrasound, applied grease. So the man practically does not feel the discomfort. The insertion depth is 5-6 cm.
Method makes it possible to come close to the prostate, not only to establish the exact volume, size, contours, but also to study in detail the soft tissue of the body, to reveal even small changes in the structure, assess the condition of the vessel. If you find a suspicious area to biopsy. In addition to the sensor, the instrument has a special needle for sampling. In this case, a biopsy will be performed under the control of TRUS. The procedure takes about 30 min.
What are the main indicators determined during an ultrasound, what are their normal values? About it in the table.
|Form||Symmetric, triangular, or oval|
|The contours||Smooth, clear|
|Echogenicity||Normal without signs of increased or decreased echogenicity|
|Dimensions||Length ‒ 2.4-4.1 cm, width ‒ 2.7-4.2 cm, thickness ‒ 1.6-2.3 cm|
|The volume||No more than 26 ±2 CC.|
|Ducts||No signs of blockage|
Ultrasound of the prostate – a modern and effective method that allows even in the early stages to detect and immediately eradicate the disease. No wonder they say: forewarned is forearmed.