About the causes and treatment of frequent urination in men
Anxiety at the thought of an important meeting, a long journey in transport, the constant search of the nearest toilet in an unfamiliar place. With such problems facing a man who is experiencing frequent urination. What does this alarming symptom and how to take control of urination about it in our article.
Signs of problems
There are situations when frequent urination is natural: the use of large amounts of fluid, diuretics. But sometimes frequent urination can also occur without increasing fluid intake, regardless of medication.
Here are some signs which speak about aberration:
- Urination in men occur more often 6 times a day.
- There is a need to get up during the night (nocturia).
- The imperative urgency (an overwhelming desire to go to the toilet).
- Incontinence, the situation when a person fails to run".
- Small amounts of urine at a time.
- Urination is accompanied by pain.
- Difficulty urinating.
If men appear these symptoms, it is necessary to address to the urologist, to pass diagnostics and to establish the causes.
What triggers the disease
Frequent, strong urges to urinate about men serious diseases. The reasons may be the following:
- A urinary tract infection. Microorganisms cause inflammation and have irritating effect on the walls of the urethra, bladder, resulting in frequent and painful urination.
- Prostatitis. Inflammation of the prostate gland, usually of an infectious nature.
- Adenoma of the prostate. As a result of overgrowth of the prostate tissue is obstruction, violation of urine outflow. The consequence is the hypertrophy of the muscles of the bladder, the stretching of the walls due to the accumulation of residual urine. All this leads to malfunction of the organ.
- Prostate cancer. A malignant tumor, which also leads to compression of the urethra, residual urine accumulation.
- Overactive bladder (GUMP). Clinical syndrome, which is characterized by frequent urination, including night, imperative urgency, and incontinence. Causes – diseases of the Central nervous system (tumor, stroke, Parkinson's disease) or changes in the smooth muscle of the bladder.
- Urolithiasis. Deposits in the urinary bladder also are irritating to the body wall.
- Inflammatory diseases of the kidney (pyelonephritis, glomerulonephritis). Often accompanied by aching in the lumbar region, fever, General weakness.
Assee, the causes of frequent urination in men the most diverse, and only a complete diagnosis of the organism and examination from a competent specialist will help you determine what the problem in each case.
Diagnosing problems with urination
Today a doctor there are numerous methods to identify the causes of voiding, among them:
- Computed tomography, ultrasound of the bladder, kidney, transrectal ultrasonography of the prostate. Help to identify the adenoma, prostate cancer, urolithiasis.
- Determination of the level of PSA (prostate specific antigen). Along with digital rectal examination and ultrasound examination is crucial in the diagnosis of prostate cancer in men.
- General analysis of blood, urine. Allows you to identify inflammation in the urinary tract, prostate.
- Uroflowmetry. Method for determination of the flow rate, urine volume, time of beginning of urination.
- Laboratory diagnosis of infectious diseases of the genitourinary system (bacteriological sowing urological smear).
- Rectal temperature measurement, examination of the lymph nodes, bacterioscopy with suspected acute prostatitis.
Related article: Common DOG – the norm analysis in men: it is important to know
The most important role in the diagnosis plays a medical history, a study of complaints and voiding diary the patient, which should be mandatory, if we are talking about GUMP.
Features of therapy
Depending on what is the cause of frequent urination in men, treatment is different, but in any case, the assignments can be done only by a doctor:
- Prescription drugs that slow the growth of adenomas, reducing its size (an inhibitor of 5-alpha-reductase), and drugs that promote the flow of urine by relaxing smooth muscles (alpha-blockers) if we are talking about the adenoma in men.
- Chemotherapy, drug treatment or surgery in the case of prostate cancer.
- Treatment with antibiotics, reception protivovirusnyh, Antiprotozoal drugs for the elimination of infectious diseases.
- Taking anti-inflammatory, painkillers for getting rid of swelling and pain.
- The appointment of drugs that promote dissolution of stones in the bladder, the kidneys, if the need for treatment of urolithiasis.
- Syndrome treatment drugs GUMP antiholinergicescoe action (oxybutynin, solifenacin).
- Collagen injections in the area of the urethral sphincter and calorically tissues.
- Surgery (in the case of GUMP runs less often). Surgical methods include myectomy, intestinal plasticity of the bladder.
Medication andthe operation is not everything. Really learn to keep the situation under control urination with Kegel exercises, which are aimed at strengthening the pelvic floor muscles in men.
Regular exercise will help in case of sudden and strong urges (imperative urge to hold back and walk to the toilet "without loss".
How to take urination under control
If You are concerned about frequent urination, including night, the following tips concerning diet and lifestyle will surely be useful:
- Limit fluid intake before bedtime, an important meeting, going to the cinema, in a word, in situations when distracted by a visit to the toilet will be completely out of place.
- Eliminate from the diet or eat with caution foods that can stimulate urination: caffeinated products, alcohol, spicy food, watermelon.
- Keep in mind that some drug preparations have a pronounced diuretic effect, for this reason, if You are prescribed a new medication, read that there are no side effects "diuretic".
- See your doctor regularly. If you need maintenance of a voiding diary, take this job seriously.
- In any drugstore today are sold pads against incontinence especially designed for men. They are invisible under clothing, absorb moisture and odor. The use of such medical devices will allow you to protect yourself and to forget the excitement.
- Exercise regularly to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
As you can see, despite the complexity of the situation, from frequent urination to get rid of. But even if you're just starting treatment, adherence to the simple rules and modern means will allow to avoid unpleasant situations and to feel confident.