What you need to know about the causes, symptoms and treatment of renal colic in men
Renal colic is a sudden pain in the lumbar spine, arising from spasm of smooth muscles of the urinary tract.
In men, renal colic occurs mainly in the emergence of obstacles to the flow of urine and irritation of the mucous membrane of the urinary tract on its way along with urine sharp stones or sand. They irritate and injure the inner surface of the urinary tract, leading to a reduction of smooth muscles and a strong discomfort.
There are the following reasons for the development of renal colic in men:
- Urolithiasis is the most frequent cause of colic in men. This pathology is found among members of any age, but deposits in the kidneys and ureters are often in men aged 20 to 40 years, and in urinary bladder in children and older men. Reasons for the formation of renal calculi to date not fully understood. In men suffering from urolithiasis may be observed:
- Oxaluria renal stones are extremely hard and by the presence of sharp edges and spikes that are easy to injure the urinary tract.
- The phosphaturia renal stones soft, smooth, easy grinding.
- Uraturia – kidney stones are hard and smooth.
- Cystinuria – as the cause of this phenomenon acts as a congenital disorder of allocation by kidneys amino acids. Renal calculi smooth, soft and rounded.
So, the place of the original formation of sand and stones in men are kidneys, in the ureters and they occur only when shifting from the kidneys. In the bladder the stones may form on their own – most often in children or older men. The reason for this phenomenon is the violation of the outflow of urine in congenital strictures in children of BPH in the elderly, etc.
- Traumatic injuries of the kidney (formation of blood clots, plugging the ureter).
- Tumor lesion of the kidneys, bladder, rectal or prostate (spread to the ureters).
- Congenital anomalies of the urinary system.
- The narrowing of the lumen of the ureter or urethra.
Timely diagnosis establish the causes of colic will allow proper and effective treatment and prevent the risk of the patient of serious complications.
Symptoms of renal colic in men depend on the causes that caused it, as well as localization of the source of the problem. In addition, the symptoms of colic affectsthe form in which the process (single and double). The main symptom of renal colic is a sudden, sharp, intolerable pain. If by reason of acts kidney stones and the obstruction is localized in the kidneys or the beginning of the ureter, the pain is felt in the lumbar region. If the calculus is located in the middle ureter, the pain will take the side of the abdomen. If the obstacle is close to a transition of the ureter into the bladder, the pain localized in the lower abdomen and "gives" in the lumbar region. If the cause of pain is the discharge of sand, its location will migrate and change with its promotion – in this case the painful symptoms will gradually cover the lower back, lower abdomen and groin.
The symptoms of the beginning of the promotion of the concretion can occur during a bumpy ride in the transport during physical work with change of body position, as well as after ingestion of large amounts of water. These symptoms are very specific – sick cry, moan, keep your hands on the lower back or abdomen, which sometimes allows to diagnose at a distance. In addition to pain, symptoms such as:
- The appearance of blood in the urine.
- The symptoms of dyspepsia (vomiting, diarrhea, increased flatulence).
- Frequent and painful urination.
- Reducing the amount of urine.
- Weakness, loss of appetite, headaches) appear over time as the beginning symptoms of pyelonephritis.
If you experience symptoms of renal colic needs urgent medical care!
Diagnosis of the disease
To assign the correct treatment is very necessary in a timely and accurate diagnosis of the pathology encountered with the clarification of its reasons. Diagnosis of renal colic begins with the patient and clarify all possible circumstances that could cause the problem. The doctor then examines the patient and palpate the abdomen and lower back. A full diagnosis of colic is impossible without laboratory investigations of blood and urine, ultrasound examination. In addition, to confirm the diagnosis, it is possible to use excretory urography and computed tomography.
Features of therapy
Renal colic is a consequence of pathological processes in the organs of the urinary system, therefore, its treatment is primarily to eliminate the causes of the underlying disease and its symptoms. As renal colic is most likely to urolithiasis or the deposition of salts, treatment will focus on pain relief and the balance of disturbed metabolism. It should be noted that the surgical treatment of urolithiasis is used only in severe cases and in the event of serious complications. Forthe relief of pain, you can use a hot sitz bath and applying a hot pad over the lumbar region (if unsure of the diagnosis). Medical treatment with the goal of anesthesia is the use of spasmolytic and analgesic drugs: no-Spa, platifillina, dipyrone, trigun, spazgan, baralgin, promedol and atropine. With prolonged attack, it is recommended novocaine blockade of the spermatic cord. In the acute stage to facilitate the release of the stones used treatment tistedalen, piston, olimetin, AVIANA etc.
The attack of colic the patient is removed in any case, it is considered one of the most painful. In the future when necessary for emergency surgical intervention, symptomatic treatment, including eliminating the metabolic disorders. An important role is given to detelecine:
- When oxaluria minimizes the use of sorrel, lettuce, spinach.
- If uraturia is necessary to limit the consumption of offal, meat broth.
- If the phosphaturia detelecine aimed at reducing to a minimum the consumption of fruit, vegetables and milk.
Mineral water treatment urolithiasis should be careful, as excessive use may worsen the course of the disease. Good effect often has a sanatorium-resort treatment in Zheleznovodsk (uraturia), Kislovodsk or Sairme (phosphaturia) and Truskavets (if oxaluria). In addition, it is recommended that physiotherapeutic treatment methods and herbal medicine. In chronic inflammation of the urinary tract in need of treatment uroantiseptiki antimicrobial drugs (etazol, Biseptol, ampicillin, (CROMO), etc.) that the physician prescribes.
Timely access to a physician adequate and comprehensive treatment of renal colic will allow you to maintain your health, regain strength and prevent the onset of more serious illnesses.