More information about causes and treatment of redness on the glans penis and foreskin
Redness on the head of the penis in men is the scientific definition of balanitis. If together with head redness and captures the foreskin, the process is called balanoposthitis. In addition to discomfort, pain, itching, decrease in potency, the disease can lead to very serious consequences, up to necrosis of the glans penis, cancer. It is dangerous for children, the child may develop phimosis.
The disease first appears as redness, but then you might have other unpleasant symptoms:
- pronounced redness, hyperemia of the glans penis and foreskin;
- pain, burning, itching (especially pronounced when the sexual organ affected fungal infection);
- swelling of the external opening of the urethra;
- purulent discharge with an unpleasant odor;
- appeared the RAID at the head of the penis and the foreskin (often white) that concealed ulcers;
- soreness of the glans penis by palpation (touching her);
- cracks, erosions, ulcers on the head talking about the development of inflammation, neglect;
- burning and itching during urination;
- fever, swollen lymph nodes;
- bleeding, headaches and General heavy condition (if the organ affected gangrenous form balanta).
According to the British Association for Sexual Health and HIV BASHH balanite can be divided into three main groups, given the reason:
- Infectious. Pathogens can be bacteria, protozoa and very often the fungi of the genus Candida.
- Caused by the manifestation of skin diseases: ringworm, psoriasis, pemphigus, etc.
- Other causes: allergic, chemical or physical stimuli (concentrated solutions of drugs, aggressive media, a diaper or underwear seam rubbed the head of the penis).
Often in literature the classification depending on the causative agent: Candida, tertiary, keramicheskiy etc. is Most common in medical practice candidal balanitis. For him, in addition to redness, characterized by strong itching and white patches on the head of the penis, sour smelling discharge.
Details about the reasons
Cause redness of the glans penis in males may:
- Bacterial or viral infection (the causative agents of gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes virus, staphylococci and streptococci etc.). Often the infection is mixed.
- Fungal (infection often comes from the partner of a patient with candidiasis). Characterized by white patches and unpleasant sour smell.
- Infection of protozoan microorganisms(trichomoniasis).
- Chemicals, excessive use of hygiene products, irritating concentrated solutions of drugs).
- Mechanical irritation of the glans penis in men (piercings, too frequent and intense sexual life, Masturbation, diaper rubbed and irritated the child).
- Allergic reaction (a bad intimate lubricants, condoms, cosmetics for intimate hygiene).
In order to accurately determine the diagnosis, in addition to examination by a physician must make a number of laboratory studies: General and biochemical blood and urine analysis, ultrasound of the pelvic organs. Plaque on the penis, discharge is required to take on research. The doctor will collect medical history, making the conditions conducive to the development of pathology.
In addition to direct causes redness of the glans penis in men, there are factors that contribute to the appearance of pathology:
- The presence of the foreskin (prepucialna bag) and the accumulation of smegma, creates a breeding ground for microorganisms.
- Violation of the rules of hygiene or the lack of, or excessive care.
- Improper care of the sexual organs of the child.
- Promiscuous, unprotected oral sex.
- Diabetes. Urine with high sugar content is a great environment for bacteria.
- The presence of concomitant diseases: gonorrhea, or Trichomonas urethritis.
- Autoimmune disease (malfunction of thyroid gland, psoriasis, etc.).
Redness, burning, white patches on the head of the penis and other uncomfortable symptoms often troubled by men who did not know the circumcision (removal of foreskin).
According to the traditions and religion of certain peoples sexual organ of a child, a boy, must be subjected to circumcision, and it is justified from the point of view of medicine. The lack of the foreskin and the open head indicates the absence of conditions for reproduction of microorganisms and, therefore, is the prevention of balanite, phimosis.
How to treat the disease?
After the causes, the doctor prescribes treatment. How quickly a man goes on the amendment, depends primarily from the neglect of the disease, its stage, so it is important to seek help at the very first signs. When disease is used:
- Antibiotic therapy (antibiotics from the macrolides, fluoroquinolones, antibiotics penicillin in case of syphilis).
- The treatment of viral infections. Assigned antiviral drugs, both in pill form and as an ointment (acyclovir, valacyclovir).
- The appointment of antifungal drugs. It is also possible to use ointments and tablets (fluconazole,miconazole, etc.). They should eliminate the itching, burning and a characteristic white plaque.
- Treatment of trichomoniasis Antiprotozoal drugs (most often metronidazole).
- Maintaining immunity through the appointment of immunomodulatory drugs.
- The use of solutions that provide the antimicrobial effect. To eliminate external manifestations can smear creams, ointments, relieving itching and burning sensation, healing wounds (a solution of potassium permanganate, creams containing zinc oxide ointment "Levomekol", "Methyluracil").
- The elimination of the causes and symptoms of allergic (corticosteroid drugs: ointment "Triderm", "Advantan", etc.).
- Treatment of comorbidities in men which are aggravating factors (urethritis, autoimmune disease).
- The use of herbal medicines to eliminate the burning, itching, white patches. Penis rubbed or immersed in warm baths with calendula, chamomile.
Treatment involves abstinence from sex. If it turned out that the partner also has an infectious or fungal infection of the genitals, it needs to go to therapy.
Protect yourself: tips
In order to protect the penis from disease, should pay attention to the following recommendations:
- Orderly sex life, not to forget about contraception.
- To remember about hygiene, you should regularly and carefully clean the sexual organ, preventing the accumulation in the folds of the foreskin smegma and residues hygiene products (soap, gel).
- Prevention or early treatment of men diseases, sexually transmitted.
- Cherish sexual organ against mechanical damage, the use of underwear made of natural fabrics, choosing your size, so that the seam rubbed his head.
- To use the most hypoallergenic condoms, personal lubricants of good quality.
- To treat diseases that contribute to the development of balanite, especially diabetes.
- To properly care for the sexual organs of the child, to ensure that the diaper rubbed.
- Prevention of phimosis and balanite you can resort to the procedure of removing the foreskin from a baby, in many developed countries, particularly the United States, more than half of newborn circumcision carries.
So, redness of the head of the penis in men in the literal and figurative sense extremely unpleasant symptom. It can be avoided by observing the rules of protection and hygiene and it is easy to overcome, if not to let go and receive timely treatment. Parents also should think about the possible prevention of diseases of the genital organs in the child. I hope the material presented was useful to You! Be healthy!