What you need to know about inflammation of the epididymis its causes, symptoms and treatment
As a result of hit of infection in a long canal of the epididymis in men may develop an inflammation called epididymitis. This disease is always very serious, as the appendage responsible for the whole process of sperm production and its passage through the deferent ducts. Symptoms bright enough and force the patient to seek medical attention. Timely diagnosis improves the chances of recovery.
Men from 20 to 40 years are most vulnerable to the emergence of inflammatory processes in the epididymis of the testicles. This files most often affects one testicle, but sometimes bilateral inflammation of the epididymis.
Why do I get the inflammatory process?
The most important reason for the development of inflammation of the epididymis is ingress of bacteria capable of causing suppuration. The source of this infection is the urethra and sometimes the prostate. The reasons also lie in the untreated infections of the genitourinary system.
In addition, the causes of epididymitis are sexually transmitted diseases. Here in the first place are syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydial inflammation. Also referred to as other causes of inflammation in the epididymis, for example carefully enough made catheterization of the bladder.
There is often a non-bacterial inflammation of the epididymis. His reasons are, for example, a full bladder, or permanent injury suffered by the epididymis in men.
Effects on fertility
It is known that the appendages of the testes are the site of maturation of sperm. From there they pass into the VAS channel. After the final maturation of sperm emitted during ejaculation.
But as a result of inflammation of the epididymis this process is disrupted. Bacteria that enter the epididymis, can reduce not only sperm count but also their ability to move. All these reasons contribute to the decline in male fertility. So timely diagnosis of disease is the key to effective treatment and recovery ability to have children.
The main manifestations
Man can not discover the symptoms of epididymitis, as it starts in many cases very rapidly. The symptoms are the following:
- a sharp pain of the scrotum, redness of her – this is the cause of the deterioration of the General health;
- the appendage gives pain in the scrotum;
- a sharp increase in body temperature;
- the loss of strength.
If the exact diagnosis and especially the treatment of the disease were ignored, acute inflammation develops into a chronic. Chronic inflammation has the following symptoms:
- Soreness of the testicle. Sometimes it is acute while walking, andsometimes only evident during probing. That's why diagnosis by probing contributes to early detection of chronic epididymitis.
- Seal of the epididymis. It can be detected independently. In addition, such a seal may have other, more dangerous reasons, to establish that it is capable only by a doctor.
- Increasing the size of the appendage. Often increases in size and the egg.
If you found such symptoms to the correct and timely diagnosis. This is necessary to prevent the preservation of the inflammatory process and risk of developing male infertility.
Usually diagnosis of inflammation of the epididymis is not difficult for experienced physicians. This is because inflammation of the epididymis is normally sensitive to infection, hence the uncomfortable symptoms. On the basis of the diagnosis, the doctor will prescribe treatment.
Modern diagnosis of this disease involves the following steps:
- History collection. The patient is supposed to tell the doctor all the symptoms. Also needed information about sexuality as they help to establish an accurate diagnosis.
- The analysis of urine. This examination is done to exclude or confirm sexually transmitted infections. Because such disease – causes of illness.
- Bacteriological examination of the urethra. Helps to determine the inflammation of the bladder.
- Examination of the prostate, including prostatic secretion. The changes indicate that the epididymis is inflamed.
- Ultrasound. Today, such diagnosis is one of the most accurate.
- Testing for gonorrhea and chlamydia (their presence is usually erased the symptoms).
In order to diagnosis epididymitis and gave as accurate a diagnosis, it is necessary to use all these methods in combination. It is very important to determine the nature of the disease, its treatment should be proper and effective.
Features of therapy
Depending on the severity of the disease inflammation of the epididymis requires the necessary therapeutic measures. But in the overall scheme of the applied antimicrobial treatment, antibiotic therapy.
Treatment of acute inflammation of the epididymis is performed with the help of antibiotics. It is advisable to use broad-spectrum antibiotics. If the disease is diagnosed in children, it is better to appoint a sulfa anti-inflammatory drugs. Definitely need painkillers.
Also shown is the cold on the area of the scrotum and perineum, reducing inflammation and pain. During treatment requires bed rest, and wearing support bandage – jockstrap. Whenthe presence of acute inflammation do not use of sharp, salty, fried foods and alcohol. When acute symptoms subside, then resort to physiotherapy measures include warm baths on the skin surface, laser therapy, magnetotherapy.
But the treatment of chronic forms of the disease is complex. Patient mandatory administered antibiotics, sulfonamides. Actively used:
- restorative measures (physiotherapy, vitamin therapy).
In the period when the treatment of epididymitis, contraindicated sex life. The patient should know that treatment of this form is often very long, therefore, it is necessary to have perseverance and patience.
If conservative treatment appendage is ineffective, if it flows into the abscessed form, and chronic epididymitis is increasing, it raises the question of surgical removal of the affected organ. The egg remains.
Surgery may also be designated in violation of the patency of the epididymis, which occurs as a result of adhesions. This disease is manifested due to poorly treated epididymitis.