Who is appointed and how is brachytherapy for prostate cancer?
Cancer of prostate is common among other malignancies in men. And the number of identified cases of prostate cancer are detected more and more often. Medicine is looking for new ways of treatment of this disease. Today used a method such as brachytherapy of prostate cancer. This treatment shows good results and is used in therapy more often.
Types and cost
Brachytherapy is a form of radiotherapy. Method is the implantation of radiation source of radiation directly into the prostate gland. As a result, the impact on cancerous tissue, and the total toxic effect is not so high. Another advantage of this method of treatment – low invasiveness, that is not required surgical intervention. Microsources of radiation hooked through a special needle that takes a few minutes.
There are two types of brachytherapy:
- Low-dose therapy of the prostate,
- High-dose therapy.
Low-dose brachytherapy is carried out using grains of radioactivity 140 grey. Material is palladium-103 or iodine-125. Grains emit radiation for several months, the result is cancer cells are destroyed. Tissues that are near the body that receive a small radiation dose. A few months later, the grains become inactive.
High dose brachytherapy of cancer characterized by the use of grains with radioactive cesium-137 or iridium-192. It is combined with radiation therapy which is done outside. When the desired radiation dose is achieved, the radioactive grain is removed.
High-dose therapy, in contrast to low-dose, requires several (usually about three) sessions lasting up to 15 minutes every 2 days. The cost of brachytherapy is in the area of 400 thousand rubles (at the time of this writing).
If you have a choice between brachytherapy and radiation therapy, men prefer the first. This is due to the fact that you only have once to visit a hospital. But it is not always possible to choose, as it is appointed for certain indications.
During brachytherapy of prostate cancer:
- If the tumor is located directly in the prostate gland and not beyond the border of the capsule more than 2mm. In medical code is the tumor size of T1 and T2.
- Depending on the size of the prostate, beforehand, to undergo a course of hormonal therapy to reduce gland volume.
- If there is a high risk of germination cancer cancer outside the capsule, to identify the special tests. Then consider the feasibility of brachytherapy.
- If it was antransurethral resection of the prostate previously, the brachytherapy can not be carried out in connection with the development of urinary incontinence.
Brachytherapy cancer is carried out in a clinic. It is possible to spend in hospital hospitalization for one day. Before its implementation need to be examined. For this you need to undergo ultrasound, MRI, tests. Before the procedure, do an enema. Brachytherapy is performed in an operating room under General or spinal anesthesia. The position of the patient on the back with feet elevated. The grain is injected under ultrasound control.
If low-dose brachytherapy, through a needle into the prostate enter the grain. Under the high dose administered via the catheter. After 15 minutes, the catheter is removed with the grain. After the manipulation the effect of the anesthesia is terminated. The man watched for several hours and sent home.
After the manipulation of man can be discomfort and pain, that go away after taking painkillers. Bruising and swelling are going in a couple weeks.
Brachytherapy for prostate cancer comes with side effects. In some men, they can be permanent. Adverse effects are:
- Voiding it becomes painful and rapid. Can form strictures (narrowing) of the urethra, causing even urinary retention. Rarely as a complication of brachytherapy can be urinary incontinence.
- Impotence or erectile dysfunction. The older the patient is, the higher the risk of developing these complications.
- Ulcerative changes of the rectum followed by bleeding. Pain in the rectum, diarrhea, burning sensation.
Side effects after brachytherapy for prostate cancer arise infrequently, as a rule, severe consequences arise. Grain is not a source of dangerous radiation. A man can have sex life with your partner. But it is recommended to use a condom, since grain can enter through the urethra of the male into the vagina of a woman.